Default DeckMax Alternative?

As with so many others, my Azek deck is faded and splotchy. After fighting with Azek for 14 months, they've stopped replying to my emails (though they routinely bugged me to sign a waiver of liability). They are certainly one of the worst company's that I've ever dealt with. I simply wont buy a product from them (DeckMax) just to temporarily "fix" my deck... especially since it so bloody expensive.

Just curious. For those have have used DeckMax, do you suspect there are any products similar to it? I've been thinking about a lot of possibilities including silicone, Armor All, and Aerospace Protectant 303.

The most durable stain on my deck is from grease from the grill. I was actually thinking about wiping cooking oil on the entire deck.

Since my deck is basically garbage at this point, I've got nothing to loose. Which one would you try?

Default Re: DeckMax Alternative?

Trilogy, sorry to hear of your problems. There are a couple threads talking about using the products you discussed as well as way off the wall ideas like furniture polish, olive oil and grease. Most of those product you talked about will burn off by the sun and cause the deck to be spotty or may permanantly damage the surface of the deck. The food products may cuase mold growth that can easily be tracked into your house. If you want to try some of these you should check with azek to see if it voids your warranty. If your deck really looks bad and you dont want to try the deckmax product (i have not used it but have heard good things about it) you could, as a last resort, try using a solid deck stain. Use the highest quality one that you can buy and ensure it was designed for pvc. As with wood decks though you will have to strip and reapply every couple of years but at least it will look good when stained. Also, before using anything on your deck check with azek to ensure your warranty will not be void. Good luck.

Warranty? Ha! Their warranty is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. The deck looks like rubbish at this point so I've got nothing to lose. There are days when I think mold would look better than it looks now. What a lousy company you get with Azek. They agree to put DeckMax down once but they force you to sign a waiver that releases them of all liability after that. No thanks! They repeatedly badgered me to sign it until I had to ask them to please stop bugging me about it. I bet they sent the waiver to me 6 times. But when I had questions about alternative options, they wouldn't reply to my emails or voice mail messages.

Since the deck is trash now, I'm going to experiment with several greases, oils, and silicones. If I come up with anything notable, I'll post the results here.
    Last edited by Trilogy; 07-20-2012 at 10:08 PM.

If the deck is trash why not go ahead and go with the DeckMaxstuff? I am not familiar with the Azek issues outside of them not backing their product but if you think the warranty is trash already then what do you have to lose with DeckMax?

DeckMax has to be re-applied at least once a year. Some people say it gets splotchy by the end of the summer if its applied in the Spring. Considering it's outrageous cost, I dont want to get into something that requires constant re-coats. I have a fairly large deck that would require 1.5 gallons of it. That's way too much money each year for a so-called maintenance free deck.