Thread: sistering?

Default sistering?

I am about to build a deck that has dementions bigger than the size of the lumber. My question is- when for instance the length of the deck is 24 feet and the beams are located at 12 feet and 22 feet with a 2 foot cantilever at what points and how far would you sister the joists and what method of sistering is prefered? Thanks for your help!

Default Re: sistering?

Both joists must bear 1.5" on the beam. Personally I just over lap them so they both get 3" on the beam. But this might not work if you are face screwing because then the screws wont line up.
    Colorado Deck and Framing - The finest in outdoor living
    [url]www.cdfcontracting.com[/url]

Just to follow up on what Robert stated, you might choose to butt the joist together over the beam in order to have a continious screw pattern. You can cleat / sister the butted end of the joists together over the beam with 12"-16" blocks nailed into both joist. Gives you a continious tie down the line.

Bobby

I was a boat builder... we used 'scarf joints' to achieve longer runs of beams (joists).
    In your case I would make the middle of a scarf joint fall on top of a support beam.
    Then sister it at least 18" each side of the end of the scarf. To make a simple scarf, cut a taper, say 7.25" to zero, about a foot back from the end of each joist used to make the length. Then drill and spike each to the other nailing from the edges, top and bottom. Then add the long sister... each side of the new beam is best, tripling its width at the joint if you have the room to work. A plywood sister works great.

Default Re: Reminded the self

why we have such dumass post jamb up and retard great value this forum jeese lauise

I'm with you Bob. I don't really understand exactly what this is, how it works, or what can be done about it. It's disruptive for sure and continually interferes with other participants respones.

Bobby Parks

I was hoping maybe my browser was letting me read unneccessary code but then the language is broken and may be generated. I'm just at a loss who these ya hoos are and why they can't be prevented access. I'm sure they're working on it. Frankly I feel this is potentially to valuable a site to give up on. I check every day for new postings that might get things going.

Same here Bob. I like this forum and follow it as well. I hope that more deck people will participate. Andy is aware of whats going on here and I hope they'll be able to block this stuff. Don't know if its possible though.

Bobby Parks