Thread: Picture Framing

Default Picture Framing

I am in the process of framing my deck structure for "picture framing". Im a carpenter but an amateur deck builder! I have the ladders built for the perpendicular sides, and the corner miter supports. My question really is what is the best way to go about this once I start? Do you install the decking first (which is just parallel w/the house) or the picture framing first and then fill in after that? I am using new Trex Transcends decking and I am also trying to figure out how to use the hidden fasteners for the installation of the picture frame as well, if possible? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

Default Re: Picture Framing

My team of carpenters usually put the border on first. This allows them to measure at several points to make sure that the distance between the borders is equal throughout. Then they cut all the deckboards and install, major time savings

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorOasis View Post
    My team of carpenters usually put the border on first. This allows them to measure at several points to make sure that the distance between the borders is equal throughout. Then they cut all the deckboards and install, major time savings
    Thanks for the suggestion! Ive heard trying it both ways...but that makes sense, plus I would imagine its easier to install the picture frame first to adjust the miters

Quote Originally Posted by rptipton View Post
    I am in the process of framing my deck structure for "picture framing". Im a carpenter but an amateur deck builder! I have the ladders built for the perpendicular sides, and the corner miter supports. My question really is what is the best way to go about this once I start? Do you install the decking first (which is just parallel w/the house) or the picture framing first and then fill in after that? I am using new Trex Transcends decking and I am also trying to figure out how to use the hidden fasteners for the installation of the picture frame as well, if possible? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
    We cut out all the picture frame first like you said before the miters can be adjusted to perfection. Then we remove the picture frame and set them to the side. ( only the pic. Frame pieces the run perpendicular to the decking) We then run all the decking wild on both sides of the deck so we can snap a line across the deck (using white chalk from tajima that can be washed off) and cut. You must remember to consider your spacing between the pictur frame and deck ends. After deck is cut replace pi. Frame.