Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glass baluster maintenance?

I never really gave the glass balusters a thought due to cost, but I found some for a decent price, so I'm taking a second look. Biggest question remaining is how much of a pain are they to keep clean? Do they collect water spots and need constant windexing or is there something about them that you just don't notice the water spots?

I guess water spots are the only real concern - bird droppings etc. would need to get washed off any railing.

Thanks,
    Darel

Default Re: Glass baluster maintenance?

That is why the Maid is never out of work.

Think Windex.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

Think RAIN-X (or similar) helps keep the glass clean longer. Skip the balusters and just use full panels, a lot of times you can buy the glass cheaper in panels and have a better project.
    Colorado Deck and Framing - The finest in outdoor living
    [url]www.cdfcontracting.com[/url]

Hmmm...you've got me thinking...I wonder what my local glass shop would run me just to cut panels of 1/4" tempered glass, rather than buying specialty "railing panels" at a premium....

And boy, would this railing go together fast, too!

You can run it past them just don't forget to have them drill hole and then buy some rubber grommets. I've had tempered glass explode a couple of times and it's not a lot of fun.

I was thinking of using ipe 2x4 top & bottom rails and routing a groove for the glass to sit in, no screws necessary.

Haven't been to the glass shop yet but just looking around at odd lots of stuff on Craigslist I'm thinking this'll still be outside my budget, I'd probably need 25 of the glass panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Darel View Post
    I was thinking of using ipe 2x4 top & bottom rails and routing a groove for the glass to sit in, no screws necessary.

Haven't been to the glass shop yet but just looking around at odd lots of stuff on Craigslist I'm thinking this'll still be outside my budget, I'd probably need 25 of the glass panels.
    That groove will allow moisture in and allow rotting, better to use full panels and silicone the edge so water doesn't get into the 2x4.

Good point, should have thought of that.

Be aware that if one uses glass for railing components the code requirements change as far as strength ratings are concerned. Many of our customers use Acrylic panels as they are stronger and as they are not glass there is no change in the code from other normal balusters. And acrylic can be buffed out much easier in case of a scratch from being hit with something.