Default Best Hidden Fastener for PT Southern Pine

I like the look and cost of real wood.

I am building a deck in the southest coastal Florida.

From folks' experience what are the best hidden fasteners to use on PT southern pine?

Regards, Charlie

Default Re: Best Hidden Fastener for PT Southern Pine

As humid and sunny as it gets in your area I wouldn't even think of using them with any wood for fear of movement issues. We face screw and plug our Ipe decks, you could do that with the pine decking. There used to be a bracket system but you would need enough room to work under the deck to install them.
    Kelly Hanna
    Art Deck-O

"Art"--

I have thought of that too and I am considering the Lumber Loc clip (http://www.lumberloc.com/) that would allow the decking to move.

The vendor says this method will work for my situation (of course!)

Any thoughts on this product for my application?

v/r Charlie

Looks a lot like the other clips that people are having trouble with. I decided not to use any of the clips after seeing an Ipe deck board move 1/2" and come out of the clip entirely and rise 3/8" off the framing.

Pine is much less stable than Ipe. I really don't recommend any clips style fastener. The one I spoke of is a 16" l-shaped bracket that fits under the decking and 1.25" screws were fastened into the deck framing and into the decking from below.
    Kelly Hanna
    Art Deck-O

I went ahead and used the Lumber Lock fasteners that I described in this thread. Additionally, this system is one of the most inexpensive—I bought directly from the factory at $.33/clip.

They worked very well and appear to be holding the planks solidly.

Lessons Learned:
    1. The hidden clips are not very forgiving for lumber that is not mostly straight. You can pull the limber together (which will crush some of the built-in spacers) for a better fit. If that is the case, you should use at least one screw to hold the "persuaded" lumber, as the hidden fastener won't hold the lateral movement well.

2. Installation is tediously slow! Took me about 2 1/2 times as long to install the decking. Grooved decking would speed installation up considerably.

3. Working into a blind side (wall) was not a problem...a blind corner required the decking to be screwed.

4. Short lengths of decking (I was laying in a diagonal pattern) need one screw in the board to keep the board from sliding in the fasteners.

For the hidden fastener look, I would do this again. However, not sure if the hidden fastener look was worth the extra time. If I was building decks for a living, I wouldn’t use any hidden fastener system on PT southern pine!

I'll let everyone know about the long term result for wood shrinkage. Although it has been over a month, the opening in the boards from shrinkage does not appear to be a problem.

Follow-up report. Deck is as solid as when I built it! No regrets.

You should use pon pine, red pine, jack pine, anything but southern yellow pine for the decking boards. SYP has way toooooo much sap in them and will warp and twist and shrink alot.
    steve scholl
    www.thedeckbarn.com

Decking fasteners are of many types which include hidden deck fasteners and also the deck screws. The main function of fasteners is to fasten your deck boards strongly. Most of the time southern pine wood boards are used to make decks and hidden deck fasteners best suit for this wood. There are many producers of decking fasteners and they are in strong competition.