Default Maximum distance to cantilever a 6inch joist?

I am designing a deck around my above ground pool and need to cantilever over the top of the pool rails. Since the pool is round, it makes it "fun" for setting up the beam layout. What is the maximum distance to cantilever a 2x6inch joist? I have a joist that will be cantilevered out approximately 24" in a couple of spots. My joists are on 16" centers. I don't think it will be an issue but I have researched online and have not found a source of information for this. Any help with answering this would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Mike
    Last edited by mntn-biker; 04-16-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Default Re: Maximum distance to cantilever a 6inch joist?

Mike, the maximum cantilever that you are looking for is 24" from your beam. Just make sure that your beam is 2-2x8 or larger and your posts are 6' apart, or less. You can even be safe by reduce your OC to 12 instead of 16. Send me a picuture if you can. YomDesigns@yahoo.com

About 12" safely. If you double the 2x6 you can get 24" without any major deflection under a load.
    Kelly Hanna
    Art Deck-O

http://www.bestdecksite.com/deck_map...cantilever.htm here is site that will best answer your question
    steve scholl
    www.thedeckbarn.com